Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Swansea roofer ‘conned pensioners’ out of £15,500

Published

on

AN ELDERLY couple from Pembrokeshire have been left with an unfinished roof and a staggering £15,500 out of pocket by an alleged ‘rogue’ trader.

Mr and Mrs Black from Maenclochog, had hired, who they believed to be a specialist and reputable roofing company, to repair a leak in the flat roof on their two-bedroom bungalow.

Seventy-nine-year-old Mr Black told us how he had leaks in his lounge, which he suspected was caused by the flat roof on his property.

He told us how he scouted around and decided to contact TAV Roofing, who appeared to have bases in both Narberth and Swansea.

A quick investigation by this newspaper has revealed that although TAV Roofing do advertise they work out of the Narberth area; they operate out of a base solely from an address in Swansea.

Owner of TAV Roofing, Mr Jim Janes came out to provide an estimate and quoted the couple £4,300 to replace the flat roof.

Mr Black agreed to the quote and gave an upfront payment of £1,000 to Mr Janes for materials.

Mr Black told this newspaper that they started work on the flat roof on July 9 and everything was going well, and the company was turning up and appearing to work hard to complete the job.

However shortly after work commenced, it seemed that Mr Janes believed that the problem was not the flat roof and that the main roof would need to be replaced also – to the total cost of £17,900.

Mr Black said: “We had a leak, he started working on the flat roof, then he was ripping other bits out of the main roof.

“We felt trapped as he had already started the work. We went away for the weekend on July 16 and were told while we were away the job would be completed.

“When we arrived home on the Tuesday, the roof was still unfinished and there was no sign of any roofers and all materials and tools had been removed from the property.”

Mr Black was paying in instalments, however when work suddenly came to a halt he had already handed over a staggering £15,500 – but the couple have been left in limbo.

The original leaks are still apparent on the property and they have been left with around 300 tiles still missing on the main property roof.

After many failed attempts to establish contact with the owner of TAV Roofing, by both Mr and Mrs Black and family members, the Blacks contacted trading standards.

We contacted Pembrokeshire County Council for a statement, a spokesperson said: “Pembrokeshire County Council has been contacted in relation to the company in question.

“Members of our Trading Standards Team are making further enquiries.”

Mr Jim Janes, owner of TAV Roofing, was contacted by this newspaper for a statement.

Mr Janes appeared to have no knowledge of the property in question at first, however shortly after acknowledged he had been working on the roof.

When asked why he had not corresponded with Mr Black as to why he had not completed the roof, Mr Janes said: “I have not been dodging his calls, I have answered this one haven’t I?

“I have emails from Mr Black and ones of me saying I will be returning to the property on August 26 to finish the job.

“I have screenshots I can send you.”

He later told us that he had received no calls or emails from the couple.

When asked why the property had been left unfinished, he said: “I had to pull out because it was taking too long and I have other jobs to do.”

When asked if he thought it was acceptable to have left the property with an unfinished roof for almost a month, Mr Janes said: “It’s just a couple of tiles left to do and it is done.”

Mr Black also told us that the company contracted by TAV Roofing to erect the scaffolding on the property has since turned up to remove it.

They had been told by TAV Roofing that Mr Black had not paid his bill and that it needed to be removed.

Fortunately, Mr Black was able to provide evidence to show he had in fact paid and the scaffolding remains intact for the time being.

After more investigations by this newspaper, it appears that TAV roofing and AAA roofing operate out of the same address and using the same contact number.

A quick scan of their websites show they are registered traders on Checkatrade and Trustatrader, however neither of the two companies exist on a search on the trade checking websites.

Our reporter contacted Checkatrade who confirmed that TAV Roofing are not registered members of theirs and they are aware that they are illegally using their company logo on the website and this is something they are actively investigating.

However, when asked about AAA Roofing, a spokesperson for Checkatrade told us they currently have a membership, with the contact being Mr Jim Janes, but they are only authorised to use the logo for AAA Roofing and not TAV Roofing.

When asked by our reporter whether the company was TAV Roofing or AAA Roofing, Mr Janes replied: “I don’t know anything about them, i am not talking about that.”

Our reporter explained to Mr Janes how the company is the same address, same contact number and he is the contact registered for Checkatrade he replied: “Are you a lawyer, are you a copper, I don’t have to answer your questions.”

A search on Companies House, which is a government run website providing details for every registered company in the UK, does not respond with any results for TAV Roofing, AAA Roofing or a Mr Jim/James Janes.

Business

The Range’s Swansea Store Shortlisted for ‘Best Christmas Display’

Published

on

Christmas has arrived early for The Range stores in Wales, boasting gigantic displays of all-things festive! The Range is well known for going all out during the Christmas season to create a fun and magical experience full of trees, lights, decorations and much more for their customers to enjoy and this year is no exception. The Range in Swansea surpassed expectations with a display so great, it’s left them shortlisted for ‘Best Christmas Display’ out of all The Range’s 182 stores.

Continue Reading

News

Local coronavirus restrictions imposed to control outbreaks in South Wales

Published

on

Coronavirus laws are being tightened in four more Welsh authorities – Blaenau Gwent, Bridgend, Merthyr Tydfil and Newport – following a sharp rise in cases, Health Minister Vaughan Gething today announced.

The new measures will come into force at 6pm on Tuesday 22 September 2020, to protect people’s health and control the spread of the virus in the four local authority areas.

The new restrictions will apply to everyone living in Blaenau Gwent, Bridgend, Merthyr Tydfil and Newport:

People will not be allowed to enter or leave these areas without a reasonable excuse, such as travel for work or education;
People will only be able to meet people they don’t live with outdoors for the time being. They will not be able to form, or be in, extended households;
All licensed premises will have to close at 11pm;
Everyone over 11 will be required to wear face coverings in indoor public areas – as is the case across Wales.
From 6pm on Tuesday 22 September, the requirement for all licensed premises to close at 11pm will also be extended to Caerphilly borough.

Health Minister, Vaughan Gething, said:

“Following the decision to place additional coronavirus restrictions in place in Caerphilly and Rhondda Cynon Taf, we have seen a worrying and rapid rise in cases in four other south Wales council areas – Blaenau Gwent, Bridgend, Merthyr Tydfil and Newport.

“In many cases, this is linked to people socialising indoors without social distancing. We are seeing evidence of coronavirus spreading. We need to take action to control and, ultimately, reduce its spread and protect people’s health.

“It’s always a difficult decision to introduce restrictions but coronavirus has not gone away – it is still circulating in communities across Wales and, as we are seeing in parts of South Wales, small clusters can quickly cause real issues in local communities.

“We need everyone’s help to bring coronavirus under control. We need everyone to pull together and to follow the measures which are there to protect you and your loved ones.”

The restrictions are being introduced following a rapid increase in the number of confirmed cases in coronavirus, which have been linked to people meeting indoors, not following social distancing guidelines and returning from summer holidays overseas.

The Welsh Government will call an urgent meeting of all local authority, health board and police forces from Bridgend to the English border tomorrow to discuss the wider situation in South Wales and whether further measures are needed across the region to protect people’s health.

The new local restrictions measures will be kept under regular review. They will be enforced by local authorities and by the police.

Keep Wales safe by:

Always keeping your distance
Washing your hands regularly
Working from home wherever you can
Following any local restrictions
Following the rules about meeting people
Staying at home if you or anyone in your extended household has symptoms.

Continue Reading

News

Welsh legislation will restrict those travelling from hotspot areas

Published

on

MARK Drakeford, First Minister of Wales, has today announced legislation which will restrict those coming from coronavirus hotspot’s from travelling to Wales.

The Prime Minister, Boris Johnson has refused to impose rules which prohibit those from areas where the infection rate is high from entering low virus rate areas’s.

Mr Drakeford has made two requests to the Prime Minister requesting to impose rules which will mean those from high virus areas in England be prohibited from travelling to Wales, a request which has been denied by Mr Johnson.

The powers set by Mr Drakeford will come into force by the end of the week, unless Boris Johnson takes action sooner.

Speaking at the Plenary today, Mr Drakeford made the announcement, stating if Mr Johnson does not reply to his request by Friday then The Welsh Government will bring in legislation to restrict travel from those in English lockdown areas travelling to Wales.

Mr Drakeford said this was not a case of all those from England being restricted travel to Wales, just hotspot areas.

He said: “Evidence from public health professionals suggests coronavirus is moving from east to west across the UK and across Wales. As a general rule, it is concentrating in urban areas and then spreading to more sparsely populated areas as a result of people travelling.

“Much of Wales in now subject to local restriction measures because levels of the virus have risen and people living in those areas are not able to travel beyond their county boundary without a reasonable excuse. This is designed to prevent the spread of infection within Wales and to other areas of the UK.

“We are preparing to take this action to prevent people who live in areas where there are higher Covid infection rates across the UK from travelling to Wales and bringing the virus with them.

“I am determined to keep Wales safe.”

The legislation, which is understood to come into force Friday, October 16 at 6pm, will mean those travelling to Wales from areas of England which are classed as virus hotspot’s will be restricted.

The new legislation also restricts those travelling into Wales from high virus prevalence areas from Northern Ireland and Scotland.

The Leader of the Opposition in the Welsh Parliament – Paul Davies MS – has rounded on the First Minister over a ban on people entering Wales from England, and the Labour Party’s inability or unwillingness to publish comprehensive data proving that transmission rates are accelerating due to travel.

Mr Davies took the First Minister to task during Plenary today (October 14), and referred to a statement made by the leader of the Labour Party on September 23 when he said that the Welsh Government was not seeing any spikes at all in infection due to travel and tourism.

Mr Davies said that the people of Wales deserve to have sight of the data that underpins the Welsh Labour-led Government’s position on this matter, so that they can be confident that the Government’s actions are proportionate to the threat of the virus in their area.

Mr Davies also referred to a paper that accompanied the First Minister’s letter to the Prime Minister yesterday, a paper – that was not peer-reviewed – that confirms the data “…does not constitute definitive proof” in favour of a travel ban.

Mr Davies said: “The First Minister and his Government have acted rashly and without examining a range of other factors before a conclusion on whether to impose a travel ban or not is reached, while at the same time seemingly ignoring the fact that transmission rates in relation to travel had already peaked in August and September.

“It is incumbent on the First Minister to explain just why he has chosen to act in this way, and what supporting evidence he and his Ministers have seen to justify a ban and then publish it so it can be properly scrutinised.

“If he cannot or will not, then he must review and rescind this ban immediately.”

Continue Reading

Popular This Week

© 2019 Herald Newspapers PLC. All content is correct at the time of publication.