Cavity Wall Insulation Removal – Everything you Need to Know
OVER the years many people have been a victim of poorly installed cavity wall insulation. In contrast to what you were promised, the insulation is failing to keep your home warm.
When the correct material is installed to a home that is in good condition, cavity wall insulation is an energy efficient way to keep your home warm. However over recent years cavity wall insulation has been known to be installed incorrectly. This has caused problems such as penetrating damp, condensation, mould and deterioration of existing render/masonry.
If you’ve experienced any of the above lately, then it is time to consider extracting your cavity wall insulation.
Unsure whether you need cavity wall insulation removal? Speak to one of our friendly specialists for a free consultation.
Why has my cavity wall insulation failed?
Many homeowners can be completely unaware if their cavity walls have been installed correctly. It is impossible to know if it is under-filled, over-packed, where it has slumped, where areas have been missed, blockage to vents and other internal obstructions. From our experience the blame can normally be placed on one of the following pointers;
– The cavity has not been appropriately cleared prior to the install.
– How prone the property’s location is to wind and rain exposure.
– Damage to external walls such as cracks within render/ pointing of brickwork.
– The cavity width is too small.
– Property structure is not appropriate for cavity insulation.
– Insulation has not been installed properly.
– Debris in the cavity wall which causes a thermal bridge.
– Poor materials have been installed such as mineral wool, formaldehyde foam.
– No bonding agent installed with carbon carbon, diamond bead or expanded polystyrene beads.
– Leaking roof and damage to soffit.
– Insulation becoming wet through flooding or fire damage.
Are there grants available for cavity extraction?
At this moment in time, cavity extraction grants are not available. However, for those who still have access to their guarantees, there is a possibility that you could claim off the guarantee provider. This process can be tedious however our specialists are there to help you.
Is it possible to remove cavity wall insulation?
Failed cavity wall insulation will not get better over time, it will get worse. The good news is that it is possible to extract the current insulation and remove any debris.
Our team of technicians are able to remove insulation and rubble from within your cavity using an extraction machine. In addition to this, air bricks are installed to the external wall of the property to allow cross flow ventilation. This is crucial and will allow the cavity to breathe and the internal skin to dry out.
What is cavity wall extraction?
Cavity wall extraction is the process of removing defective wall insulation. As a result of poorly insulated cavities there is a growing demand for cavity extraction across the UK.
Particularly in areas of high wind and rain exposure. There are many cavity wall extraction companies offering their service. However, be sure to check that they hold an oscar onsite certification and trustmark approval. This will ensure a high standard of workmanship.
How long does it take to extract cavity wall insulation?
The average cavity wall extraction takes roughly 2 days, however this figure varies from property to property. Some insulative materials can become rigid or rubble can collect at the bottom of the cavity from previous work. Both of which can slow down the process drastically. Nevertheless, it’s crucially important to remember that the cavity space has been cleared and nothing can act as a thermal bridge.
Will cavity extraction cure my penetrating damp?
Essentially, when the defective cavity wall insulation has been successfully extracted moisture will be unable to pass from the external brick to the internal brick. With time and the correct ventilation the damp will dry out and there will no longer be a problem. However depending on the damage that has been done already for example, blown plaster or render this would have to be rectified by a specialist.
How do our technicians detect failed cavity wall insulation?
The survey process is straightforward and allows our technicians to gauge the severity of the problem and which method is best suited to extract the insulation.
– A general inspection can be carried out; cracks within brickwork, damp spots/patches on render and vents which aren’t sleeved.
– A borescope inspection allows our technician to look inside the cavity which is a quick and easy way to determine the state of the insulation.
– Thermal imaging is another way to diagnose areas of the property that may be acting as a thermal bridge.
Who are we?
At First Choice Energy, our mission is to create a more sustainable world to live in. To do this, we need to reduce our energy usage by creating energy-efficient homes. That’s why we work with homeowners across the UK, helping with increasing heating and insulation efficiency throughout their homes. Check our website to see how we can help you today.
Contact Number:- 07884 004516
Visit website for more information https://firstchoiceenergy.co.uk/
- Cavity Wall Insulation Removal – Everything you Need to Know
- The Range’s Swansea Store Shortlisted for ‘Best Christmas Display’
- Local coronavirus restrictions imposed to control outbreaks in South Wales
- Welsh legislation will restrict those travelling from hotspot areas
- Swansea Building Society unveils bespoke mortgage product for medical professionals